Thoughts to Ponder are my musings regarding community, things of the Spirit, and living as a Christ-follower. I don't offer the words of a professional or an expert; just a fellow traveler and explorer. Please don't take my musings more serious than I do. I've discovered a long time ago that I do not hold the keys of knowledge or wisdom. If I did, I misplaced them somewhere...typical.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Spiritual Life

"A spiritual life does not take us out of the world but excites our endeavors to mend the world." -William Penn

I recently read somewhere how Teresa of Avila asked God to be able to pray four hours a day. She felt God's response was something like this: "Teresa, I don't make the little birds eat. When they're hungry they eat. And when you're hungry for me you will spend more time and enjoy it without watching the clock."

Christians struggle with this misunderstanding of the spiritual disciplines. We think by the strength of our own efforts we will grow closer to God. The simple yet hard truth is: the more in love with God we become the more disciplined we will become. And the more disciplined we become: we won't even think of it as discipline--but as love.

No comments: