Thoughts to Ponder are my musings regarding community, things of the Spirit, and living as a Christ-follower. I don't offer the words of a professional or an expert; just a fellow traveler and explorer. Please don't take my musings more serious than I do. I've discovered a long time ago that I do not hold the keys of knowledge or wisdom. If I did, I misplaced them somewhere...typical.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Out For The Week

This week I am in Overton, Texas teaching a seminar on "Purpose and Joy" at the little church I attended as a teenager. The lessons are all based on Ecclesiastes which, at first glance, seems to be the worst book to use as a text for purpose and joy! But as one writer put it: "You would save yourself a lot of heart ache if you would tuck this little book under your arm and carry it for a while."

It has been a very nostalgic trip. I visited Kilgore College where I majored in theatre. The Fine Arts building (now the Anne Dean Turk Center for Fine Arts) has changed little in the past 25 or 30 years. It even smelled the same as I remembered! I was even able to visit for a few minutes with the chair of Music and Dance, Jeanne Johnson. She had just started teaching at Kilgore my sophomore year.

My old voice instructor, Bill Holda, is now president of the college. It was ironic that he is presently at a meeting in my "neck of the woods" while I am in his! I'm hoping to connect with him tomorrow.

Since I was in town, I was recruited to do my favorite past time: storytelling! The children at West Rusk Elementary School and Overton Elementary School were so delightful. It is always a treat to be able to engage in the art--one of my little joys and indulgences since I gave up theatre so many years ago.

Blessings and joy for the week!

Darryl

No comments: